Thursday, October 6, 2011
Pajama Party!
Thanks to EVERYONE for participating in pajama day! We had a great time participating in Read for the Record, and we read Llama Llama Red Pajama during group time.
Before we started the book, we discussed what we thought the book may be about. Most of the children agreed that they thought it would be about pajamas and their colors. So we charted what color our favorite pajamas are.
As it turned out, our prediction was incorrect, and the book is about a range of feelings ;) that Llama Llama feels when his momma tucks him in at night. First, he was thirtsy, then lonely, then scared, then mad. Mama was at the sink and then on the phone and Llama Llama was impatient when waiting for her to come back to him. I ask alot of questions as we read books, using picture clues in the book to guide the children to predict things and extend the learning. I asked "what do you think your mom or dad to after they tuck you in at night"? I got answers like "watch tv", "work", and "eat cake". :)
By request, the Mr. and Mrs. Potato Heads returned today!
Along with Feelings, we are beginning to learn about Fall. Today we talked about the leaves turning colors and falling to the ground. We needed "leaves" cut out of constuction paper to make our own fall trees. Sure, I could have cut them myself, but that doesn't teach the children about cutting! This is a skill that they need lots of practice to perfect. (Parent tip: cutting will keep them busy for extended periods of time. Give them an old magazine or catalog and let them go at it.)
In small groups, we used our hand and arm to make a tree and its' branches. Then we glued the leaf cut outs onto the fingertips or "branches" of our trees.
Two of our friends didn't choose to do this today, but will do it tomorrow.
Want to make 3 and 4 year olds be your best friend??
Buy a scooter. I did, and they love me more today than yesterday, I think. Although Brayden is still insistant that I need to buy a horse for the backyard. "It's better than a scooter", he claims. I am going to choose not to find out. :)
I am sending home Scholastic book order forms today. If you wish to order please return the form and payment to me or order online by THURSDAY, OCT. 13
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My first thought... you're a brave brave woman to ask them what Daddy and Mommy do after they tuck the kiddos into bed... ;)
ReplyDeleteI like Brayden's idea for the backyard.... Bekah has a horse if you want to borrow it for playtime sometime... It's one of those FurReal ones. ;)