Thursday, October 27, 2011

Cold and Rainy, Loud & Busy!

Whew! What. A. Day! I am hoping it is the weather change, but we were kind of..."wired" today. not complaining, mind you, just an observation. We waited to go outside until just before lunch so MAYBE it would warm up, but it was still quite chilly. Please remember we go outside EVERYDAY, unless there is something literally falling from the sky. That mean if it is 35 degrees and freezing cold, we will play outside. It is vital to our day. We might not have group time for as long as we normally do, or we might shorten our nap if we get off schedule, but we WILL go outside for ONE HOUR. Everyday. If you'd like to keep an extra jacket here just to be sure your child has one if you ever run out of the house with out one, that's a GREAT idea! (hint, hint) Coffee Filter Pumpkins
First we color the coffee filter however we want to with an orange marker. I encouraged them to make the pumpkin all orange, but this is their project and they had complete creative control...well, except the orange marker. :)
Then we sprayed it with water to watch the orange bleed all over the coffee filter. We will dry them and add a stem this afternoon. Then they will be laminated and hung up for all to see!
Some of the girls had a beauty salon today. They had lots of business, including myself. I loved to see them using different "tools" as props. Most popular was a skinny long block as a comb. I visited the beauty shop, and was treated to a massage. Seriously, a really good massage. These kids are hold outs, never letting on that they are mini-massueses
This is a very colorful painting I found in the art center. I think it's so pretty!
Today Brayden helped me make orange play dough. Well, we planned to, then I realized I had run out of red food coloring :( But, I had red cherry limeade mix! So we mixed that and yellow food coloring. Not the same. It turned out "orange-ish". Lesson learned: check the pantry BEFORE promising orange playdough. We will try again tomorrow.
Malachi is all bundled up today ready to play outside!
We kept moving to keep warm.
Who rides on a broom? Junior!
There's room for friends on the broom!
We played Frisbee to run off some energy and warm up. It was lots of fun! In group time we talked about what the dentist does to keep our teeth healthy. We watched a short Scholastic video about dental health, and discussed ways we can have a healthy smile. We also read some Little Critters books, and listened to an audiobook There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bat. More pumpkin and Halloween fun tomorrow, and we will wrap up our week of learning about people who keep us healthy. Monday we will have some special treats and Halloween activities throughout the day. Parents are welcome to join us around 10:15 to help us with our craft, if anyone is interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment