Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Apples, Apples, Apples! (and a frog)

Today our classroom EXPLODED with a flurry of apple activities! First off, we listened to a quick story after breakfast and headed outside. I think I am really going to enjoy going out early (for now I say that), we get LOTS of energy out and I could tell a real difference after we came in and started playing in centers. While outside the children found this:
A frog! A tree frog I think, with the sticky feet and all! I knew that poor frog didn't stand a chance if we left him in there. He had to come out. I asked the children if they wanted to bring him out. We had a few volunteers, but no one could quite get a grip on him. That meant...yep, I had to go in. That is a funny sight in itself, I am sure, but even funnier would be the sight of me shrieking under my breath and jumping around in a tiny playhouse all due to a frog. I am not saying that is what happened, but it would be funny...right? So we got him out...THROUGH THE WINDOW. Yes, that is true. Let's not ask questions, just be happy that the frog is on his way to freedom and survivial.
Then Junior saved the day with a brilliant idea.
We successfully placed the frog over the fence and on his way down the road to a better life. It was exciting for sure, and we learned not to be scared of frogs. At least I did. Back inside we began to play in centers and explore the new apple table activities.
We used tongs to sort big and small plastic apples.
We used red and green beads to make apple bracelets on pipe cleaners.
Paizley made a pattern!
We sorted apple cut outs into three piles-red, yellow, and green. We will continue apples and communities tomorrow. I will be off to another training on Friday, possibly late Thursday afternoon. I am going to the Arkansas Early Childhood Association in Hot Springs through Saturday. I look forward to the great speakers and training sessions I will attend, as well as my best friend, Debbie Mays, and her husband, Randy are the keynote speakers!

No comments:

Post a Comment