Well today was the day I have been preparing for forever, or so it seems. But I was ready. I was excited, and I was prepared.
I was greeted this morning with smiling, happy faces, excited and eager and ready to play. No one kicked or screamed, or cried when mom left (well, one tried to, but I can outsmart an emotional preschooler) :). We are really focusing this week on the groundwork for the rest of the year-the basics. The handwashing technique was first. We MUST wash our hands every morning as soon as we get to school. No matter what. That is tough when coming into the busy preschool wonderland that is so enticing and inviting, but it's the rules. You can help in the morning by encouraging your child to wash hands when you drop them off as well. It provides for a nice transition, too, enabling you to say "I Love you, have a good day, I'll see you this afternoon...please go wash your hands so you can eat breakfast with your friends!" Just a thought. It may help any separation anxiety that we have in the future. ;)
We played this morning exploring centers and getting used to our new surroundings, ou new friends, and feeling it all out. Ms. Adrian (the children called her "Ms. A") was here today helping us to keep it all flowing smoothly. We will be working these first few weeks with classroom rules and procedures, but informally. It will be a learning process for all of us as we get to know one another and all the expectations we have for eachother. I learned alot today: poker chips are not more fun to sort if ther are 150 of them as opposed to 25, an empty towel bar in the bathroom DOES look like a monkey bar, and just because the bubbles start out in the bottle does not mean they won't end up poured in the sandbox. But, we had a great day. We played, we got dirty (sorry...we are under construction in the backyard!), we learned three new songs in circle time, and read books about other kids just like us going to school for the first time. We ate lunch, drew pictures in our journals, and EVERYONE took a nap. That, my friends, is an accomplishment. I cannot wait for tomorrow, for your little ones to come back and feel more comfortable in their new school. (I will forwarn you, again, that the separation anxiety isn't as common on the first day as it is on days 2, 3, 4... so be ready!
Looks like a super fun day! Bekah had such a great day and can't wait to go back tomorrow! :) Thank you for opening your home and providing an awesome experience for our kiddos!
ReplyDeleteWhat fun Mrs. Beth ! Thanks for sharing your day !
ReplyDeleteSounds like a wonderful....and long-awaited day! So happy for you Mrs. Beth!
ReplyDelete