Monday, July 25, 2011

A Dream Come True!

Last year when I opened my Family Childcare, I knew I wanted to have a preschoool. That is what I know, what I studied, and what I did well (or so I humbly thought). Although my intentions were preschool based, that is not how it panned out. Who knew filling preschool spots in summer would prove so difficult? I found that out very quickly. By August, I ended up with all infants and toddlers. 4 full time and 2 part time. It was so opposite of what I had intended, but I embraced it. I switched gears and moved puzzles, games, and manipulatives out and made room for swings, bouncy seats, and walkers. I loved, rocked, swaddled, fed, burped and cuddled those babies all year long. They loved me back, and became my heart. The school year whizzed by-too fast. Summer quickly came, and the babies are now toddlers, learning, growing, and teaching me all the things that they are capable of doing, reaching, opening and getting into. ;) But preschool has never left me. I have many friends who teach preschool, and to be honest, when I spoke with them about the events and happenings in their classrooms, I tinged with jealousy. I loved my job, and "my babies", but I still had preschool in my heart, and looked forward to the time that the babies would eventually become old enough to "do things" with.
FAST FORWARD-another program in town closed, leaving 80 preschoolers with out a place to go. The State of Arkansas has a federally funded preschool grant, called The Arkansas Better Chance for School Success program (ABC for short), and I applied to open an ABC program in my home for 10 children. It was quite a application process, with budgets, collaboration and parent involvement planning, and eventually an interview with the program specialist to see my home and the space I would use to have the preschool in. After lots of waiting, I found out (on my birthday!) that I had been approved to start the program this fall! I am so excited and cannot wait to get started. As the beginning of my school year approaches, I am eager to see the children I will be blessed with spending time with. I cannot wait to teach, encourage and observe them growing and learning in my home each day. I pray that I can keep up!

1 comment: