Friday, March 9, 2012

Farm Fun

This week we began learning about life on a farm! We will continue this into next week, but we had a great four days this week learning and rediscovering what we already knew and adding some new knowledge, too!

In group time, we learned about and charted all the animals we could think of that may live on a farm. Ducks? Bunnies? Snakes? These were tricky, but we decided they might live on a farm, too! We began discussing later in the week what foods we eat that come from a farm. We will do this more next week with some super cool cooking projects and science experiences. On Wednesday, we watched "Old MacDonald's Farm", which showed us the workings of a real life farm. We got to see farmers talk about what machines they use, and what they need to do to care for all the animals on the farm. We had talked about it, but we got to see the cow being milked, both by hand and by a big machine. Can I just say it is HILARIOUS to hear three and four year olds say "udder"? Especially during center time free play? They will point out the udder on every cow they see now. As well as the udder on a pig and goat... so funny. But hey, they are learning! :)

We had lots of farm games and table activities out this week to explore.




PUZZLES!






Farm animal sorting





We played an animal matching game during small groups this week called Uno Moo. Great for taking turns, following rules, color recognition, and matching! It was lots of fun, and eventually later in the week the kids were playing all on their own.





Farm Animal rubbing plates...look at that pencil grip when holding the crayon! (hmm....imagine that!)




Building barns for our farm animals with magnatiles



At this point, I feel we have a close enough relationship that I should tell you about my addiction. My obsession, really. It's a problem, and I cannot control it. I love going to thrift stores. I do. It's true. I find the BEST stuff for our class there, and I had the chance to go to a great place named Savers while on my trip to Little rock. I found some treasures to share with my little friends. I get excited about this stuff people. And, it was Rhea Lana's week, a HUGE children's consignment sale in Springdale, so I have been giddy all week :)

I hit the motherload of Potato Head accessories!






Sit & Spins for the playground


Stick horses! I have been looking for some for awhile...and bam! three of them were at Savers! :)



We have had a fantastic week playing and learning with our friends










What a great week! I look forward to continuing the fun! Have a fantastic weekend!


And I will leave you with this from Pinterest. (Do you Pinterest? You should.) I thought this was too funny and oh so true! :)









1 comment:

  1. Another great blog post Beth ! And LOVE the pinterest.... so true !

    ReplyDelete