Friday, April 13, 2012

Rain, Rain, Go Away

So this blog will be short and sweet. I have spent the better half of our rest time finishing up the Dial 3 Assessments in preparation for our upcoming conferences, so I have now 15 minutes to post the blog. Ready, Set, Go!

This week we focused on rain. We read lots of rain books, both fiction and non fiction, and even read one of my favorite books from when I was a little girl "It Looked Like Spilt Milk". Unfortunately, it was cloudy both Thurday and Friday when I had planned for us to go outside and do our own cloud observations, so we will hopefully get to that next week.

We sang plenty of rain songs, and learned all about how rain gets into clouds and how and when it comes back down to Earth.

We made a creative art project with umbrellas out of paper plates and rain using our fingers. They are cute, and cookie cutter ;), and on the wall in the classroom. One student chose not to make one, I cannot imagine why ;) Not very much free expression in that project!

We did a Weekly Reader about rain.





We painted with lots of BLUE at the easel.






We did a jelly bean sorting activity as well. A bit late for our Easter unit, but still good for color sorting, working with a partner, and counting and comparing. A "sweet" math activity and the kids really enjoyed eating FIVE jellybeans at after they showed me their graph.


You might have noticed that this week your child has been bringing home name tracing sheets. We are doing these every morning, and I am astounded at the progress of our name writing. The children are very proud, too! Feel free to practice at home! Any writing is good practice, even if it is illegible. (Be sure to reinforce proper grip!)



More fun pics of the week...












Shaving cream is great to practice writing, too!

Have a great weekend, and don't forget about parent-teacher conferences next week beginning on Wednesday!

Also, if you haven't been following on Facebook, I applied for 8 spots for summer funding. If interested, please let me know, as I will need a full roster by May 4th if I get approved. Same hours, approximately 10 weeks, and FREE! :)








No comments:

Post a Comment